Monday, April 30, 2012

50 Cent Discusses Dr. Dre, DJ Drama

50 Cent is prepping his first-ever "Gangsta Grillz" mixtape alongside famed mixtape guru DJ Drama, and the rapper spoke to Shade 45 about the project and why he feels it represents a significant change in direction for him as an artist who did much to build the current mixtape culture.
"I never really, on the mixtapes, reach out and put the people I needed to put on to make it feel like it was a different energy," explained 50 Cent. "It was me doing what I want to do, and of course, putting the artists around me on the tape to get them that exposure."
"This go-round, I said, 'Because it's 'Gangsta Grillz,' it's an event for me!'" he added. "'Gangsta Grillz' is actually the biggest mixtape brand you can be associated with. Everyone else has lost the consistency."
50 also briefly discussed his relationship with mentor Dr. Dre and Dre working with 50's longtime rival, Rick Ross, recently. "You know what I know about Dre? Creatively, he's saying, 'If there's a hit, wherever it is, I'm going to go get it,'" 50 explains. "I don't care. These are people I have strong relationships with that have done things for me. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. I've been raised that way. ...What is 50 Cent's career minus 'In Da Club?'"

No comments:

Quincy Harris Live Fox 29 7:00am - 10:am

Quincy Harris Live Fox 29 7:00am - 10:am